Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Jamaican Coconut Toto

Yesterday I was in the mood for Coconut Toto. As I was talking to my friend on the phone she said, I haven't eaten that in a while. I tried making it, but is never comes out right it is just tough.

Firstly, I pointed her to my cookbook - JAMAICA'S FORGOTTEN TREATS that has a wonderful recipe, available at www.renaeescakes.com. Then I gave her a few pointers on getting a good toto.

Toto is a Jamaican dessert that is a cross between a cake and a bun flavored with coconut flakes. It varies in texture, color and flavor depending on who is making it. Toto has been around since slavery days. They are many different ways to bake toto, but following the recipe in my cookbook, here is the tip.


Add the milk a tablespoon at a time. Mix together to get a stiff dough. You need just enough to combine the mixture. Grease bowl and spread evenly in dish. 

  

Hope this helps. Let me know how it turns out.

Always remember to take life one day at a time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment